AB 832 - COVID-19 Non-Payment of Rent & Eviction Compliance
AB 832 cleared its first hurdle today. It is poised to pass and be signed into law by Wednesday, June 30. The bill will extend current statewide eviction protections for another three (3) months. SCRHA is putting together the resources that owners and managers will need to comply with the law. Housing providers will be using updated forms effective July 1. Please note, the forms mentioned below will not be available until July 1. Older versions of the COVID-related forms will no longer be compliant.
- Send Notice of Rent Delinquency (Form 401) no later than July 31, 2021.
- On or before July 31, 2021, a housing provider must provide, in at least 12-point type, specific notice to any resident who, as of July 1, 2021, has not paid one or more rental payments that came due during between March 1, 2020, and September 30, 2021.
- This means owners and managers need to provide Form 401 to all residents with past-due rent between March 2020 and July 2021, no later than July 31, 2021.
- Notice may be provided via Personal service, substituted service, post, and mail, or via U.S. mail. For U.S. mail, housing providers should mail no later than July 26.
- Use updated 15-Day Notice to Pay or Quit (Form 403) effective July 1, 2021.
- Include Declaration of COVID-19 Related Financial Distress, updated Form 299, with Form 403.