Important Reminder - AB 1482 (Tenant Protection Act of 2019) Deadlines
Southern California Rental Housing Association is reminding our members that there are several approaching deadlines related to AB 1482 (Tenant Protection Act of 2019). Please review these deadlines and call us at 858.278.8070 if you have additional questions.
Tenant Notification Deadline
- For any tenancy started or renewed on or after July 1, 2020, as an addendum to the lease or rental agreement, or as a written notice signed by the tenant, with a copy provided to the tenant.
- The mandatory language is already in the SCRHA Rental Agreement and Form 282.
- For a tenancy existing prior to July 1, 2020, by written notice to the tenant no later than August 1, 2020, or as an addendum to the lease or rental agreement.
- Use AB 1482 Notification Letter or Form 282
- The notification or lease provision shall be in no less than 12-point type.
Owners/managers may not utilize the exemptions until notification is provided to residents.
- For a tenancy existing before July 1, 2020, the notice may, but is not required to, be provided in the rental agreement.
- Use the “AB 1482 Just Cause and Rent Limit Exemption Letter” or Form 290
- For any tenancy commenced or renewed on or after July 1, 2020, the notice must be provided in the rental agreement.
- The mandatory language is in the SCRHA Rental Agreement.
- Owner Occupancy Notifications (Intent to occupy the residential real property by the owner or their spouse, domestic partner, children, grandchildren, parents, or grandparents.)
- For leases entered into on or after July 1, 2020, tenant must agree in writing. Use Form 202.
- Addition of a provision to a new or renewed rental agreement or fixed-term lease allowing the owner to terminate the lease for Owner Occupancy also suffices.
- The SCRHA Rental Agreement has the required language. Form 202 may also be used.
Topics: advocacy, Southern California Rental Housing Association, property managers, property management, AB 1482