Legislative Update - August 19, 2021

Industry , Legislative Updates , SCRHA Blog ,

RENTAL ASSISTANCE UPDATES

City of San Diego Properties: Help Available from the COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program
The City of San Diego COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program can pay 100 percent of the rent owed by a qualifying low-income tenant experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Qualifying tenants are eligible to receive help with 100 percent of their past-due rent as far back as April 2020 and 100 percent of their rent for up to three upcoming months, for a combined total of 18 months.

Landlords who previously received payment for 80 percent of their tenant’s past-due rent also may receive an additional payment for the remaining 20 percent because of a change in state law. The San Diego Housing Commission administers this program. Visit covidassistance.sdhc.org to start an application on behalf of a tenant, which they will need to complete and submit, or to check the status of a previous application.

Riverside County Properties: United Lift Rental & Utility Assistance
Do you have residents that have been financially impacted by COVID-19? United Lift 2021 Rental and/or Utility Assistance can help. Apply online at https://www.unitedlift.org/ 

Do you have vacancies to fill? The Housing Authority of the County of Riverside is offering a $500 - $2500 landlord incentive to rent your units to their voucher holders. If you would like to list an available property or would like more information about the landlord incentive program, please email Jmuller@rivco.org  or call 951-343-5411.
 

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

City of San Diego Sewer & Water Rate Increase
The San Diego City Council is scheduled to vote on a multi-year increase to sewer rates along with a water rate increase this September 21, 2021. Click here to learn more about the increases and how to submit a formal protest. 

Water Use Restrictions Could be Mandated Late September

With much of California under extreme drought, Governor Newsom said this week that statewide restrictions may be imposed in late September. Read more.