Call to Action for Chula Vista!
Chula Vista Tenant Protection Items go to Housing Advisory Commission for Recommendations
Date: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 Time: 6:00 PM Location: Council Chambers, 276 Fourth Avenue, Chula Vista
Last week, SCRHA notified members that the City of Chula Vista is exploring the adoption of additional tenant protections. City staff will be presenting initial findings to the Housing Advisory Commission tomorrow evening and seeking the Commission’s guidance and suggestions. SCRHA has engaged with the City to share its concerns and will continue to do so as the policy proposals move forward. Click here to view the agenda; Item 5.1.
Policy Proposals being considered:
- Further defining what constitutes substantial rehabilitation in no fault evictions;
- Identifying local regulations for Ellis Act evictions including noticing and relocation assistance;
- Further refining harassment and retaliation behaviors and the term “quiet use and enjoyment”; and
- Specifying remedies and City enforcement mechanisms
The City’s actions are in response to the Mayor’s request to explore additional tenant protections. The concerns appear to center largely around just a few bad actors known to the City. SCRHA believes that state law sufficiently addresses these items, and the response is an unnecessary broad-brush approach to a few isolated cases. Rather than enact more laws, the City should focus on outreach and education so that all parties understand their rights and responsibilities. SCRHA remains committed to working with the City on workable solutions. City staff is expected to present stakeholders with draft policies in early 2022 and set up additional stakeholders meetings with an intent to go back to the Housing Advisory Commission again in mid-January before any Council consideration.
Property owners and managers in the City of Chula Vista are encouraged to submit comment to the Commission and let them know that more regulatory burdens on rental providers is not the answer.
Public comments may be submitted to the Housing Advisory Commission in the following ways:
- Submit an eComment – View the agenda, scroll down to Item 5.1 and click on the comment bubble icon (example: ). A small window will appear, click on "Leave Comment." The commenting period will close one hour before the meeting.
- Mail or email comments - Submit comments via email to HAC@chulavistaca.gov or by mail to Housing Advisory Commission, 276 Fourth Ave, Chula Vista, CA 91910.
- In-Person comments during the meeting - Join the Housing Advisory Commission meeting at the time and location specified on this agenda to make your comments. Please visit www.chulavistaca.gov/boardmeetings for current mask requirements and other safety protocols.